Sunday, July 11, 2010

Slow Cooking During Summer




One thing I have discovered is that cooking in the house during the summer does not help with the power bill because it causes the a/c to run more. My way around that issue is to use more than one slow cooker and to plug them in out in the utility room closed off from the main house.

Over the years I have collected many slow cooker cook books and recipes so that I have an abundance of choices. Not just main dishes but sides and desserts as well.

I have always had good results with slow cookers from Hamilton Beach. My most recent acquisition being the 3 in 1 cooker. Now I can choose the proper size crock for what I am making since it is best to cook with the crock more than half full.

I love being able to put together the meal in the morning when it is coolest and then forgetting about it until just before it is time to eat. I am also having fun experimenting with new recipes and rewriting some favorites to work in the slow cooker.

Here is a family favorite:

Baked Beans

1# dry beans
-----------------
6 pieces of bacon
1 large onion, chopped
2 T. dark brown sugar
1/4 c. dark molasses
2 t. dry mustard
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
3 c. water


In a large bowl, cover beans with water. let soak 12 or more hours. (I put them to soak before I go to bed.)

Drain beans. Combine beans and chopped onion in crock pot. Stack bacon and roll up. Bury bacon in the center of the beans. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over the top of the beans. Cover and cook on high for 5 1/2 to 6 hours adding water if needed.


You can double this for your family and it will be fine. (I double it when I take it to potlucks.) Just be sure to watch and see if you need to add water. Some slow cookers cook a bit higher than others.

4 comments:

  1. I could really use more recipes and some slow cooker ones would be wonderful!

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make baked beans in my slow cooker too! Aren't they great? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great recipe! Waiting for my molasses in an Azure order and I'm going to give this a try. Thanks for following my blog, Heidi :)

    ReplyDelete