Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sourdough


My son recently let me know that I had not made anything with sourdough since we moved to Arizona and that it would be really nice if I could start doing so again. He was right but it has actually been since I was called and told my father was dying and that I needed to get to California asap. We were there for about a week and when I came back I found my start had died along with my dad. My mind set for so long has been that I associated it with my dad's death. Well, I am ready to "start" new.

For now, I am using a very basic sponge from a sourdough cookbook we got while we were in Alaska that you make with 2c. flour, 2 c. water and one package of yeast and let sit out overnight. (No metal please.) I am, however, going to be on the lookout for someone willing to "share a start" with me. If that fails I will try to "catch" my own because it is sooo worth the effort. It can take several tries before you catch one worthy of keeping and you will NEVER forget those bad ones!!

King Arthur has an awesome Sourdough Primer If you are interested in trying either of these sourdough starts.

I am looking forward to my first batch of waffles and I know my family is going to be pretty happy to have them again too!

P.S. Hey daddy! I made a start today!!






2 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi, You've inspired me to make a start. My guys would enjoy sourdough waffles too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 2002, the last time I saw my dad healthy at his home, I was given some sour dough bread starter by my step-mother. I made sour dough bread for several months and it was delicious.

    The next time I saw my dad he was in a hospital for a month or so and then passed away. A little connection with my dad and sour dough bread.

    The other morning I was hearing an interesting sermon by Adrian Rogers on leavening. It was on the Christian radio station.

    You have a great blog. Thank you for following my blog ... have a wonderful Thursay.

    ReplyDelete